The flower plumes delicately change to silver as they mature and provide excellent winter interest. They rise gracefully, well above an elegant foliage of narrow, arching, green leaves with white midribs. A fabulous focal point in the garden!
- Easily grows in a lovely, dense fountain-like clump, up to 5-6 ft. tall (150-180 cm) and 3-4 ft. wide (90-120 cm).
- Performs best in full sun in moderately fertile, moist, well-drained soils. Protect from excessive winter wet. Drought and salt tolerant once established.
- Very versatile, it can be used as a graceful accent plant in the garden, massed to create screens or hedges, planted in borders, coastal gardens, city gardens, cottage gardens or prairie plantings.
- This Chinese Silver Grass is generally pest and disease free. It is deer and rabbit resistant but attracts birds.
- Cut foliage to the ground in late winter before new shoots appear. Propagate by seed sown in pots in a cold frame in spring or by division in spring.
- Native to Asia, the species form of Miscanthus sinensis is invasive in several US states. The invasive potential is of less concern for many of its ornamental cultivars, some of which are sterile. However, as a general rule, do not plant more than one cultivar on your property, and use only a vegetatively propagated cultivar that has shown little or no evidence of self-seeding in your area.
Requirements & Characteristics
Zones 5 - 9
Zones 1 - 9
2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
5' - 6' (150cm - 180cm)
3' - 4' (90cm - 120cm)
48" - 60" (120cm - 150cm)
Miscanthus - Maiden Grasses
Chalky, Clay, Loam, Sand
Acid, Alkaline, Neutral
Moist but Well-Drained
Beds and Borders, Hedges and Screens